|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - heritage
Brumbies are part of our 'heritage' and they are also part of our history.
We should not cull them, because there are animal lovers in this world.
A planning proposal has been put forward to subdivide Teversal Manor into 8 apartments with another 7 houses being built in the grounds. It was the former home of Lord Carnarvon when he funding the search for and excavation of Tutankhamun's tomb.
This proposal will degrade the conservation status and architectural character of the village, the architectural importance of the interior design will be lost and ruined, along with its links with D.H.Lawrence's book 'Lady Chatterley's lover. The proposal shows a lack of conservation expertise - there is no reference to using reclaimed materials, a complete disregard for the maintenance and enhancement of the conservation area in particular the preservation of protected trees, the design is poor and inappropriate - not in keeping or complementary with the current housing stock which is a range of historical and listed buildings.
The proposal would create deterioration in the current condition of the village roads due to heavy construction traffic on narrow lanes and there would be both noise pollution and a very high risk of non-completion and non-compliance. This is a beautiful and historical village that needs to be preserved.
St. Ann’s Well is an important historic site in Nottingham which deserves thorough professional archaeological investigation. The need for this has become urgent as the City Council has granted planning permission for houses to be built on the site.
St. Ann’s Well, formerly Robin Hood’s Well, was considered to be the main Nottingham site connected with Robin Hood until the 19th century, and fits the description of the location of his hideout.
The Well was the destination for a procession of most of the citizens of the town, led by the mayor, each Easter Monday throughout the middle ages. Deer were culled for a venison feast for all.
Water from the spring was considered to have healing properties and the Knights Templars built a stone immersion chamber here to treat skin diseases. This chamber was in use through the centuries until 1887 when it was covered over by workmen before a railway bridge was built.
Around 1600 an early brick house was built here for Nottingham’s woodward and this building became a public house, visited by royalty, including James I. The house also displayed “relics” of Robin Hood and hosted a society called the Brotherhood of the Bow. Some interesting artefacts have been found here, including a medieval gold ring and coin. Since it was an important focus for a thousand years it is likely there are more to be discovered.
St. Ann’s Well faded from public memory after the railway bridge was constructed over the site. The bridge was demolished in the 1960s and a pub built on the site. The pub too has now been demolished. As a result, there is currently an opportunity for an archaeological investigation to dig down to the level of the stone chamber and locate building remains and artefacts from the area’s history.
Planning permission requires that the developer funds some archaeological investigation on the site. But this will only be shallow, to the depth that new building may damage. The immersion chamber and medieval relics are likely to be deeper underground, covered by soil from the railway embankment. Once houses are built and the land is split up into separate ownerships it is unlikely it can ever be investigated again.
So far, Nottingham City Council has shown little interest in the site, though they promote the cjty’s connections with Robin Hood. We don’t want the opportunity to be lost to research a place with a strong connection with the outlaw which became an important part of Nottingham’s heritage.
St. Ann's Well-Wishers
April 10, 2013
Dear Concerned Supporters,
At our membership meeting on March 2nd, 2013, our members mandated the Saint Lucia National Trust to open a petition to Government on the Freedom Bay Project for signature. This was done on April 5th 2013. However, at a recently concluded meeting of the Trust’s Council we were informed that Government has commissioned the Limits of Acceptable Change (LAC) Study.
In light of the fact that the LAC study has now been commissioned, we have decided to withhold the said petition until after the completion of the LAC. The petition also called on Government to:
1) not approve any major developments within the World Heritage Site until the LAC study is complete; and
2) ensure that the conditions of approval of the proposed Freedom Bay development are to be informed by the recommendations of the LAC study.
Once the LAC has been completed we will engage Government to determine how the recommendations will be implemented. At that time we will also revert to our membership for guidance on how we move forward with the suspended Petition.
Your understanding in the matter is very much appreciated. Thanks to everyone who signed the petition and shared their passionate views about the protection of our Pitons. Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or suggestions.
Vasantha Chase, Ph.D., PMP, CMC
Chairman of Council
Unless you were born or live in a city recognized by Facebook, the place and your history does not exist.
To accurately reflect a person's profile and identity Facebook needs to allow a person to name the city, town or village from whence they come.
Please sign this petition to use against and put to the Surrey County Council who are closing down Heritage Farm Nurseries.
No to destroying the owners' livelihood and home, making 20 people jobless and making 100's of families angered that we are being closed by the SCC as they are too greedy for money!
Port Kembla Copper plan to tear down the iconic Port Kembla stack that has cut a familiar figure on our local skyline for over half a century.
I'm starting this petition to call on the community to 'Save the Stack.' If you, like me, believe strongly in maintaining the unique character and culutre of Port Kembla, please add your signature below.
For years the riverstone community has been put on the back burner with an overpass and we are happy that the government is moving forward to elevate the problems associated in riverstone, however we do not feel that the overpass on garfield road is the suitable option as it will destroy business , history and the local community the community would like the government to move forward on the Loftus st option.
LE RAYONNEMENT DE LA MUSIQUE DE LHASA
En 1991, Lhasa de Sela est venu à Montréal visiter ses trois sœurs qui étudiaient à l’École Nationale de Cirque. Elle a décidé d’y rester, après avoir succombé au charme de cette ville nord américaine foisonnante, francophone et cosmopolite.
Ceux qui ont eu l’occasion de voir Lhasa de Sela chanter à ses tous débuts dans les bars de la ville en gardent un souvenir ému. La Llorona, son premier album qui s’est mis rapidement à tourner en boucle dans les cafés de la métrople, a été bricolé dans un petit appartement du Plateau. Il a connu un rayonnement inattendu et spectaculaire ici, en France, puis à travers le monde.
L’album The Living Road est sortit en 2003 et a été acclamé par la critique internationale : « meilleur album des Ameriques » par la BBC music Award en 2005 » 3e meilleur album world de la décennie 2000-2010 par le Times de Londres pour ne nommer que ceux là). Les concerts de Lhasa sur cette tournée se sont joués à guichet fermés et - hors festival- ses concerts ont attirés : 8400 personnes à Paris 4000 à Lisbonne 5000 à Bucarest (en 1 seul concert !), 3800 à New-York , 2400 à San-Francisco, 2400 à Berlin), 2000 à Barcelone 6000 à Montréal ,2400 à Bruxelle etc…
Le dernier album éponyme sorti en 2009 s’est vendu, avec très peu de promotion (et sans tournée) à plus de 100 000 exemplaires. Il a eu un superbe succès d’estime (4**** dans plusieurs journaux et revues musicales d’Angleterre etc).
Au total Lhasa a vendu plus de 1 million d’albums à travers le monde. Lorsqu’elle nous a quitté le 1er janvier 2010, son départ a été salué par la presse internationale : des « unes » de journaux ont été publiés au Québec (plusieurs), en France (Libération) et au Portugal (sur les 2 plus grands quotidiens nationaux) et de longs et vibrants hommages lui ont été rendus dans les pages du NY Times, du Monde , du Figaro, du Guardian (UK), du Independant (UK), du El Mundo (Espagne), de L’Orient du Jour (Liban), d’El Sol (Mexique) , de Spiegel (Allemagne) et dans bien d’autres journaux. …
LHASA ET LE MILE END
Le rayonnement international qu’a connu la carrière de Lhasa n’a jamais altéré son histoire d’amour avec Montréal et avec ce qui est devenu au fil des ans … son quartier adoré : le Mile-End. Lhasa a toujours revendiqué son appartenance au Mile End et elle était très appréciée par les gens du quartier. Elle s’est aussi beaucoup impliquée, notamment pour défendre la vocation culturelle du Rialto avant qui ne soit réhabilité.
L'enracinement était une quête majeure de la vie de Lhasa. Montréal a été pour elle un véritable lieu d’adoption, un port d’attache élu parmi tous les autres, une ville qui l’a accueillie à bras ouvert après une enfance et une jeunesse bohème sur les routes des Etats Unis et du Mexique. Elle s’y est établit de 1991 à 1999, elle l’a quitté en 2000 et pour y revenir en 2002, plus convaincue que jamais de son appartenance à la métropole. Elle y est demeuré jusqu’à la fin de sa (trop courte) vie.
Lhasa est une des rares artistes à avoir établi des ponts entre les communautés francophones, anglophones et les autres communautés linguistiques de Montréal. Même si l’anglais était sa langue maternelle elle y a appris le français avec tant de soin qu’elle a fait rayonner cette langue à travers le monde (Pour l’anecdote, Bernard Cherez, directeur de la programmation musicale de France Inter, a dit un jour à propos de La Marée Haute : «c’est quand même dingue qu’une des plus belles chansons de la langue française ait été composée par une américaine»!)
Nous pensons qu’il est de notre devoir de se souvenir, par la nomination de ce parc situé au cœur du quartier qu’elle avait adopté, de cette très grande artiste étant venu s'établir au Québec. Son indéniable talent, la force de ses chansons, ses prestations exceptionnelles, la radicale authenticité de sa démarche, ont contribué à faire fleurir le paysage artistique de notre métropole et nous pensons que sa mémoire inspirera de manière positive et profonde les générations futures.
St Patricks College at Shorncliffe has lodged a development application with the Brisbane City Council to demolish the heritage shop at 52 Pier Ave Shorncliffe.
The building is currently a news agency.
This petition urges Council to reject this application to demolish this heritage building.
Petitioners are also encouraged to lodge a submission to Council prior to 15/10/12. Information on how to do this is at http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/development-assessment/Have-your-say-on-development-applications/index.htm
In light of the current demolition threat to Trent Lane Depot (REF 12/01616/PADA), I have put an application in for listing with English Heritage. I hope you will agree that this site is of special historical interest.
It would be a grave mistake for the city to bury one of its proudest achievements, which from 1928 to its decline in 1970s was known as "Nottingham's Highway to the Sea". There have been sound competition proposals to save the buildings and develop the site but the owners The Homes and Communities Agency appear more interested in maximizing profit and speed, rather than heritage, place-making or design.
A little gentle persuasion from the City Council or English Heritage is perhaps all that is needed. The situation is urgent as the demolition team are currently setting up their equipment. I am currently liaising with English Heritage, The Twentieth Century Society and British Waterways.
English Heritage have informed me that they have put this in for emergency review early next week. Any delay to the demolition will be beneficial.
On 22nd September 1930, the New Victoria Theatre opened for the first time. The biggest picture house outside of London, the theatre held 3,318 people at any one time. In 1950, it changed names to the Gaumont franchise and between then and 1969, stars such as The Beatles, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey and Lulu came to perform to the masses.
In 1969, the picture house was converted into twin screen operation and in 1988, was further converted into triple screens. It was one of the most successful Odeon's in history.
It closed its doors for the final time on 2nd July 2000. Grange Estates bought it and put planning permission in for a casino and bar complex. They pulled out in 2003 because of "Bradford's weak economic climate." Then, Yorkshire Forward bought it and when they were disbanded in 2011, the building was passed on to the Government's Homes and Communities Agency. They plan to demolish the iconic building and build four glass-fronted office towers which the City of Bradford does not need. More offices when Thomas Cook has shut down opposite? Another hotel opposite the Jurys Inn and in the vicinity of the Travelodge, Premier Inn and Hilton?
ODEON = OSCAR DEUTSCH ENTERTAINING OUR NATION
SIGN THE PETITION, SAVE FROM DEMOLITION!
The Manor Place Terrace of shops and homes was built between 1875 and 1896. They are some of last remaining Victorian buildings that were constructed on the site of historic Royal Surrey Gardens and are the last examples of Victorian retail within West Walworth.
They offer a strong link to the history of West Walworth and are a fine example of purpose built shops and homes from the late-Victorian era. They offer a real sense of how the streetscape would have been in the past. They are in perfect keeping with the local area being built with interesting detail and to a human scale.
West Walworth will change enormously in the next 20 years with a large number of development sites locally which will net Southwark Council tens of millions of pounds.
We ask that as guardians of our local heritage and its assets, Southwark Council places a value on the terrace and its façade and says no to development which demolishes this historic terrace.
We are writing concerning the trip that you organize to Turkey and then Cyprus (June 1-15, 2012), entitled “Sailing with Paul in the Mediterranean”.
It appears from the documentation that we have seen that you may not be aware of certain facts that are important to bring to your attention. The reference to “Northern Cyprus” constitutes, in fact, the area of Cyprus under Turkish military occupation since 1974. It is recalled that the secessionist entity in the occupied areas of Cyprus was condemned by the United Nations Security Council, in its resolutions 541 (1983) and 550 (1984), as “legally invalid” and is not recognized by any international organization or country, other than Turkey which is the occupying power.
Furthermore, we wish to respectfully bring to your attention that the airport through which you intend to arrive in Cyprus has been declared by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus as an illegal point of entry into and exit from the Republic. The legal points of entry into the Republic of Cyprus to which visitors should use are Larnaka and Paphos airports and the ports of Larnaka and Lemesos.
Moreover, this illegal airport is not recognized by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and its illegal operation causes serious risks to flight safety in the region.
It is also important to stress that this illegal airport is located on property belonging to a significant number of Greek Cypriot refugees who were forcibly expelled from the property by the invasion forces in 1974.
These refugees remain the legal owners of their properties, as it has been confirmed by numerous relevant Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights, and have not consented to the construction of the illegal airport.
Furthermore, the organization of such a trip by an archaeological society is particularly offensive to the local and international community of archaeologists working in Cyprus, due to the destructive consequences that the Turkish occupation has caused to the tangible and intangible cultural heritage of the island.
In the occupied area, archaeological sites and monuments, including churches, have suffered severe destruction and violation, museums have been looted and destroyed, and antiquities continue to be illegally exported.
15. Save Fulford
The former Penistone Grammar School buildings Fulford, Weirfield and the stables and the site they are situated on are been sold for possible residential development, which would lead to the demolition of these buildings.
These buildings are an integral part of Penistone's social history and must be retained for future generations. Other alternatives for use and conversion need to be fully exhausted before this can be allowed to happen.
In 2008 we came to this troubled project with the objective of turning it into a sustainable heritage asset – putting the Windmill back into the centre of the community.
Despite the many obstacles we have experienced we have shown that the project can be viable, but the accident last year has left us with no sails and our main milling facility gone. Without sails turning to produce flour, the last working windmill in Norfolk becomes just another old, preserved building.
We are still passionate to see this succeed, but if the current situation is to be overcome everyone involved must share a commitment to this as a long term project.
Many people have voiced their support, and your vote and comments will affect the future of this project.
November 4, 2011: UPDATE
Thank you for your wonderful show of support for Collingwood’s Heritage Conservation District. Many of you have left thoughtful and positive comments. I have been deeply moved by your commitment to our downtown heritage district.
I am happy to say that on the council agenda for November 7th, 2011 the motion to remove properties from our Heritage District has been withdrawn!
On Monday November 7th council will discussing the Heritage Advisory Committee’s recommendation to “consider Site Specific Amendments to the 2008 Collingwood Heritage Conservation Plan”. This recommendation would allow for council, the heritage committee, town staff, and the developer to work collaboratively on site development.
Thank you for your part in making this possible.
October 23, 2011:
Collingwood is known and admired provincially, nationally, and even internationally for its downtown Heritage Conservation District.
Our downtown forms one of the largest conservation districts in Ontario and was the first heritage district in all of Canada to be listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places. This prestigious designation identifies Hurontario Street as “among the best preserved 19th century grand main streets in Ontario.”
And yet, the Heritage District is currently facing its biggest challenge.
Tourists from far and wide come to Collingwood to walk our downtown streets and shop in our stores. Town, regional and provincial publications praise our historic downtown and its architectural heritage. Collingwood has become one of the most popular retirement destinations in Ontario – in no small part because of the beauty of its built and natural landscapes.
And yet, the Heritage District may begin to break apart.
Why? Because Collingwood Town Council has requested a report from its staff on what steps are needed to remove a prominent property from the Heritage District.
Property owners in the Heritage District understand that our downtown represents the heart and history of our town, and as such, is a boost to our town’s tourism and economy. The Heritage By-Law that governs our district was well-researched, well thought out, and approved by town and council. To let a developer simply “opt out” of Collingwood’s Heritage District in order to remove obligations outlined in the By-Law is completely unfair to the many individuals and businesses who have abided by our town’s legislation for years.
If the town council goes forward and allows the property to be removed, then the entire district is vulnerable to similar requests from any other resident or corporation which will slowly erode our heritage. Eventually, there may not be a Heritage District.
Help us to protect Collingwood’s Heritage Conservation District by signing this online petition or one of the paper versions, which are circulating within the Heritage Conservation District.
The James Theatre (Dungog Cinema) is the oldest purpose-built cinema still operating in Australia. In December 1912 the Dungog Electric Lighting Company set up an open air theatre seating 1000 on the present site!
Then in 1917 James Stuart who owned the land took over the Cinema and by Jan 1918 had constructed a new roofed building. The building, with its Spanish Mission facade added in 1930, is of significant cultural and architectural heritage.
The recent closure of the commercial cinema business is as a direct result of the film distribution change to the specific D-Cinema digital format and in no way a fault of the current management. The consequent scarcity of 35mm film prints or alternative digital media formats suitable for small cinemas to show movies in a reasonable time after release has meant business has declined. Also the cost of the new 2K projectors and E-Cinema server/media block systems has hampered their take-up by small independent cinemas.
The media moguls are too big to be fought by small operators, so help and lobbying at the highest level by Australian politicians and film industry luminaries is needed.
To take back a community's sense of pride and togetherness.
Bunker13 is inviting people to submit their names for a planned membership scheme, entitled 'Friends of Bunker13'. There will be various benefits including a quarterly newsletter, 2 for 1 Entry in to Yorkshire Air Museum (to be arranged), bunker visits (to be arranged)etc. The cost of this membership package will be around £10 per year with all proceeds going to bunker funds.
NOTE: At this stage we are only asking for names of those who are genuinely interested in becoming a Friend of Bunker13. No monies are needed at this time.
We will contact you in due course.
Sessions House is an historic building in Selsey, Sussex, England. It was tragically destroyed by fire and of importance not only historically but socially too in that it was a regarded as a 'jewel in the Crown' of Selseys High Street and as such featured on all chocolates, tea towels and the like as a tourist attraction.
The costs of restoration have meant it is not attractive to developers (other than to be knocked down and be yet another eyesore) and so it remained in ruin. I campaigned to keep this listed and managed to retain it's grade II listing with English Heritage.
No grants or public funding are available and I have invested everything I own (and some) to put this grand old lady back together. The rear development offsets some of the shortfall and saves the majority of the main house. I'm not asking for money, just your support so please help me and play your part in keeping our heritage alive. Thank you.
Petition to protect the rare inner city agricultural lands on the Western side of Vermont Road, Mowbray, Launceston, on the banks of the North Esk River. This land is known as 'Vermont'. These lands have a history dating back to the early days of Launceston (1819) and were once owned and overseen by Tasmania's first distinguished Botanist, Robert William Lawrence, first son of the famous Tasmanian colonist William Effingham Lawrence.
Historically significant happenings include: Aboriginal Hunting Grounds, major conflict between Aboriginals and Early Settlers, Bush Rangers making several appearances in the area and on the property, and the use of Convict labor on the land(s) from 1819 until 1856. The land was the used for several early farm machinery tests and also for the first meet of the Launceston Gun Club in the mid 1870's. Items dug up from the near by 2nd original homestead of 'Vermont' (1870) include coins dating back to the late 1700's, pieces of a dueling pistol, clay bottles and pipes and several broad arrow marked Convict bricks.
On the Western side of the road there lies a creek bed where, it is said, stone was cut by Convict labor to built a wall and dairy at 'Vermont' which is still standing. Convicts were also used to drain the river flats by the North Esk River due to regular flooding and for other general agricultural purposes including 'barking'. The lower river flats have now regressed back into their natural state holding a large variety of bird, plant and frog species and house a rare bio-diverse area in that of which the Green and Gold frog lives.
These privately owned lands could be due for subdivision in coming months/years. There is also a proposed 'Eastern By-pass' for heavy vehicles that will run right through the land, which will disturb residents in many ways on the Vermont Road as well as Bill Grove. The by-pass will have a detrimental effect upon the rural outlook of the area as well as its long standing history and cultural values. We must see this last piece of beautiful rural scenery not be built upon by modern housing estates or highways as the effect would be disastrous. This land still retains rural features of its earliest known land grant of 1819 and is most probably the last in Launceston to still be in such an original condition, partially bounded by original Hawthorn Hedging to the South and West. Near to said lands there is a cottage which was erected in the mid 1820's named 'Braemar', an early neighboring farm to 'Vermont' owned by John and James Lamont.
Please view the image taken by Monissa Whitely showing the land on the Western side of Vermont Road with the river flats in the background. Do we really want to see this lost for good? Do we really want to see the historic homestead of 'Vermont' boxed in by development when it is already boxed in enough?
If you care about Tasmania's historic agricultural landscapes and buildings, sign this petition today!
Please sign to save the building and to keep the building and to preserve the heritage for generations to come.
it is One of the original Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres. The Portsmouth Odeon opened on 14th December 1936 with Sydney Howard in "Chick". It was the largest and most expensive Andrew Mather designed Odeon of that year. Total seating was provided for 1,824, with 1,224 in stalls and 600 in balcony.
It has an impressive monolithic tower frontage in cream faience with vertical green bands and a roof of red Spanish tiles. The auditorium's ornate decoration included tall murals on side walls depicting film subjects.
A two week closure from 10th September 1960 for modernisation, including installation of 70mm with new wide screen and proscenium in front of original. Then began a glorious period through the 1960's of almost uninterrupted Roadshow presentations (with the Gaumont almost opposite taking the Rank first-run weekly release).
Tripling took place on 26th August 1973, with 573 seats in screen 1 (former balcony) and 132 in each of the mini-screens located in the rear stalls under the balcony. In 1990 a fourth screen was added in the former front stalls area and a new screen was installed in screen 1. Further refurbishment has taken place since then and the current seating is 1. 631, 2. 229, 3. 179, 4. 259.
John A. Macdonald was the first prime minister of the Dominion of Canada, but that was the end of a story. It was his predecessors, Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine and Robert Baldwin, who made self-government possible. In fact, La Fontaine was the first Prime Minister.
His contributions are commemorated in the place names of parks, towns, streets, bridges and even a tunnel, yet when our children learn Canadian history, they are taught that Canada began in 1867. Canada was born amid shoot-outs, riots and fires. La Fontaine and Baldwin had created a balanced, fair government and knew that the change to a democracy would be a difficult process for the old oligarchy of Tories and businessmen to accept.
Confederation, dominated by the old Tory elite making the same claims, helped to perpetuate an illusion that Canada began in 1867, but place names survive, waiting for us to wonder why they were chosen, and in the process, to rediscover our past and learn of the real struggles our ancestors endured in order to make Canada the first colony to secede from the British Empire in a civil manner – without war. (Source: Joseph Graham)
The building we are advocating for was once the home of Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine the great man who is mentioned above. This Victorian style mansion built in the 1830's is currently left to fall into ruin by the City of Montreal. Over the years there have been many people advocating for the building and yet nothing has been done. Something must be done to save the building.
The historic Dragon Café / Barron's Building, 175 Rattray Street, Dunedin, New Zealand, suffered partial collapse on 12 January 2011, apparently due to to the effects of long neglect.
Built in 1875, it has been home to the iconic Dragon Café since 1958. The building can be restored, but its fate depends on the actions of the owners and the Dunedin City Council.
In 2008, a planning panel was unjustly imposed upon the people of Ku-ring-gai. Since then it has exercised planning decisions normally undertaken by democratically elected Councillors.
These decisions have resulted in the over-development of Ku-ring-gai, which has undermined our: quality of life, infrastructure, environment and heritage values.
This petition supports objection to coal mining in the Southern Highlands.
In a media release dated 7 October 2010, Member for Goulburn, Pru Goward stated "There may be coal in the ground here, but that does not mean that local living standards, livelihoods, and clean water should be put at risk."
The Port Sunlight Village Trust, whose responsibility it is to protect the historic village of Port Sunlight, has applied for planning permission to build 12 townhouses in Water Street/ Wharf Street area. This doubles the housing density for this area compared with the rest of Port Sunlight.
In addition to have a severe impact on traffic and poor drainage in the area, it potentially sets precedent for continued building within the remaining green spaces within the village.
According to local press reports and a statement from the Communications, Officer of Tanzania National Parks, the Tanzanian Government is planning to build a commercial road cutting directly through the Serengeti wilderness, which completely bisects the path of the world famous annual wildebeest and zebra migration comprised of nearly 2 million animals.
The road was first discussed and put for financing to the World Bank about twenty years ago but based on the recommendation of an EIA carried out by the WB, it was abolished for environmental reasons. The presently suggested routing of the commercial road is for 53 kilometers running through the Serengeti National Park, dissecting the northern Wilderness area of the Park. Giving the increasing traffic, the road might become the highest risk to the wildebeest migration and the integrity of the Serengeti as the number one natural wonder of the world upon which Tanzania’s tourism depends. Initially the new road will not have a great impact on the Wildebeest Migration.
But the Wildebeest Migration will have a great impact on the traffic. Increasing traffic will result in an increasing toll on human life and equipment through vehicle - wildlife collisions. These - unacceptable - losses will force TanRoads to consider fencing. Such fencing would truly mean the end of the Great Migration as the wildebeest, zebras and eland could not reach the Mara River (their only water source in the dry season) anymore and would die at the fence-line. Botswana lost its wildebeest and zebra migration with such fences. And in Canada, the elk migration in Banff National Park was also compromised because of a dissecting road The loss of the Serengeti Migration – the last of its kind in the world - would not only mean the end of Tanzania’s priceless natural and national heritage, the end of the Serengeti as iconic World Heritage Site but also a significant decline in tourism in the Serengeti and in neighbouring Masai Mara Reserve in Kenya.
The only way to avoid to severely reduce the conservation and economic value of the Serengeti National Park, its status as a World Heritage Site and endangering and damaging Tanzania’s reputation as world leader in conservation is to look for another alignment of the road outside the National Park. With the bad situation in Mikumi National Park as an example the Government of Tanzania rejected other proposal of major public road building in Parks as recently in the Tarangire National Park.
A road through the Serengeti would provide even more human fatalities and wildlife impact than the road through Mikumi • As suggested by a world bank study and Tanzania National Park, the planned road should be routed around the Serengeti National Park to the south. (The existing Ngorongoro – Serengeti road will remain as a tourist access road only) • The southern version makes more economic sense as it will be serving over two million people • It will not impact on the value of the world famous Serengeti National Park and World Heritage Site but immensely contribute to the economic development of Karatu, Meatu, Maswa, Bariadi and Magu – Districts • The road from Arusha to Loliondo should be rehabilitated to link Loliondo efficiently Any road in the Serengeti National Park should be for for tourist access and park management – not for transit and has to be under the control of TANAPA, including gates, no night driving, avoiding critical areas for conservation, low speed.
An order has been approved to demolish the Glenelg Ozone Cinema situated on Jetty Road, Glenelg South Australia.
This cinema with a heritage application pending is a rare art deco "gem" and having so few authentic art deco buildings in South Australia, it is imperative we conserve this type of architecture for future generations.