|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Petition Tag - chidren
Several large, shade-giving old trees are being cut along Besant Avenue in Besantnagar in the name of decongestion of traffic. So far two trees outside Olcott Memorial School have been cut and one more gulmohar and two tamarind trees have been targeted by the Chennai Corporation to be cut in the coming days.
These trees are more than 20 years old and have been providing shade and safety for lot of commuters on the road as well as for the chidren of Olcott Memorial School.
So for whose convenience are they being cut ?
1. Besantnagar residents are fully aware of the location of these trees along and on the road and the majority have been adjusting to their presence. The trees are well indicated by large signs along the avenue. The warning signage can be further improved
2. These trees are more than 20 years old and have been providing shade and safety for lot of commuters on the road as well as for the chidren of Olcott Memorial School.
3. . Rash driving is rampant, particularly on Elliots Beach, 5 th Avenue and Besant Avenue and particularly on weekends. These trees provide a good check to rash driving. If they are removed and the roads are widened, instances of rash driving will only increase, making it difficult for local residents .
4. The shade provided by these trees makes the whole road very cool thus making it a favourite spot for early morning walkers and joggers especially senior citizens .
5. These trees are home to many birds and insects and we would be robbing them of their habitat if the trees are cut.