|Home | Bookmark | Tell||Active petitions in over 75 countries||Follow GoPetition|
Opposition to Abortion Law Reform 2008 (Victoria, Australia)
Over 1600 signatures were gathered in 12 weeks.
The petition will be submitted to the leaders of the Victorian Government and Opposition.
Petition Background (Preamble):
We want to send a message to the Victorian Parliament (the Government, Opposition and all sitting members) that tens of thousands of Christian voters are opposed to the new Law. Read the Law here.
When this petition has gathered 3000 signatories it will be sent to the offices of the State Premier and Opposition leader. Please sign the petition only if you are a resident of Victoria.
Please note: a parallel petition has been created for people who are uncomfortable with the wording of point 4 of this petition. It can be found here.
Denominations represented so far, in no particular order and non-exhaustive: Anglican, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Seventh-day Adventist, Uniting Church, Pentecostal, Assemblies of God/ACC, Presbyterian, Christian Reformed Church, Lutheran, Planetshakers, Christian Brethren
• We affirm that God is the giver of all life, and that He opposes violence and killing.
• We affirm that all human life is sacred, and that God loves and cares for all human beings from conception until death.
• We affirm that pregnancy, childbirth and parenting are great blessings.
• We oppose abortion except in rare and exceptional circumstances, such as when a pregnant woman’s life is in grave danger and can be saved only by ending her pregnancy.
• We affirm that in Jesus Christ there is forgiveness and restoration for people who have had abortions and people who have performed abortions.
• We call on Churches and the State to provide compassionate and truthful counselling for pregnant women on the risks of abortion, and on the alternatives to abortion.
• We call on Churches and the State to provide compassionate and generous support for all parents, especially single parents and those struggling with need.
• We call on Churches and the State to improve care for the disabled, and to demonstrate that they are a valued part of society.
• We condemn the Abortion Law Reform Act 2008, which permits abortion on demand up to 24 weeks of pregnancy and allows abortion from 24 weeks until birth on the agreement of two doctors.
• We praise the role that medical and nursing professionals play in sustaining life in the State of Victoria.
• We support all Victorian doctors and nurses who, on grounds of religion or conscience, refuse to participate in abortion or to provide a referral for abortion.
The Opposition to Abortion Law Reform 2008 (Victoria, Australia) petition to Victorian State Government, Victorian State Opposition, all Members of Parliament was written by Dr. Jereth Kok, MBBS and is in the category Human Rights at GoPetition. Contact author here. Petition tags: abortion, law reform, victoria, christian, catholic, 2008